Dubious Accusations and Convictions
Here is a geographic index of web pages that give information about dubious accusations and convictions in the United States. Eventually, I plan eventually to include cases from other countries as well. In the meantime, you can find information on cases in other countries on this page at the site of the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance (OCRT). Many cases in the United Kingdom are at the web site of The Portia Campaign. I have investigated many of the following cases and am persuaded of the innocence of the people accused. Some cases I haven’t had the time to look into personally. And in some cases I am not convinced of the accused’s innocence, but believe nevertheless that there were sufficient irregularities in the investigation and/or trial to warrant inclusion. Thus I suggest you read the accounts and make up your own mind. If you know of a web site that should be included, please email me at email@example.com. If no information about a case is available on the internet, you may write up an account (please include contact information) and I will read it and, if you make a reasonable case, I will convert the account to HTML, place it at my own web site, and link to it.
In addition to the OCRT web site, I have made use of material and links from Justice Denied, Jonathan Harris, Hugo Cunningham, Nicholas Peters, and Doug Hill. Most of these cases involve accusations of child sexual abuse, but some murder cases are also included. Resolved cases are starred. (By resolved I don’t mean that exoneration occurred. In some cases, alas, the person convicted completed his or her sentence.)
Please Write to a Prisoner!
- Florida. Janet Reno’s Cases.
- Benny Lee Saylor. 1992. (Murder)
- James Rodwell. 1981. (Murder)
- Cheryl, Gerald, and Violet Amirault. (Fells Acres). 1984.
- Bernard Baran. (Bob Chatelle’s Account.) 1984.
- Bruce Clairmont.
(Carol Weissbrod’s Account.) 1992.
- Robert Halsey. 1993.
- *Ray and Shirley Souza. (Mark Pendergrast’s Account.) 1990. Free at last!
- *Louise Woodward. 1997. (Murder)
- Paul Litchfield. 2000.
- Michael O’Laughlin. 2000. Armed Assault With Attempt to Murder.
- Father Paul Shanley. 2005.
Some Comments on theTrial
- Louis and Elena Piccone. 2008.
- *Jordan, Minnesota. (Need Information.) 1984.
- *Mike Hall. (1985).
- Kirstin Lobato. 2002. (Murder)
- New Jersey.
- New York.
- North Carolina.
- *James Bauhaus. 1972.
- *James Bauhaus. 1972.
- Rhode Island.
- South Dakota.
- Leonard Peltier. 1975. Murder.
- Jesse Rouse, Desmond Rouse, Garfield Feather, Russell Hubbeling, and Duane Rouse.
(Yanktown Indian Reservation.) (OCRT Account.) 1994.
- Merlyn Shutterle. 1990.
- West Virginia.
- Thomas MacPhee. 2003. (Murder)